Start Date: 3/20/2019 1:00 PM MDT
End Date: 3/20/2019 2:30 PM MDT
Independent Bankers of Colorado
Required Compliance for Commercial Loans Secured by Real Estate
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm MT
Which regulations apply to commercial real estate loans? Are there exceptions when real estate is taken as “an abundance of caution”? Can examiners assess civil money penalties for violations? Do your commercial lenders and support staff understand the data collection required for HMDA-reportable applications? Is a written application required for a business-purpose loan? This webinar will address these questions and more. Real-life examples will be used to explain how regulations apply to the commercial loan application process.
- Overview of commercial loan compliance hot spots, including fair housing, Regulation B, Flood Disaster Protection Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, accommodation loans, HMDA, and insider lending
- High-level review of BSA requirements, including the new beneficial ownership rules for legal entity customers effective May 11, 2018
- How to determine whether the application is for business or consumer purposes
- Compliance requirements when real estate is taken as collateral
- Compliance requirements for Regulation B appraisal rules on loan applications secured by a first lien on 1-4 family dwellings (there is no “business-purpose” exception)
- Common commercial loan violations when real estate is taken as collateral
- Overview of HMDA requirements and review of the rules for business-purpose loans effective January 1, 2018. Some institutions may be eligible for partial exemptions from some data fields if they meet the lower threshold limits announced on August 31, 2018.
- Flood insurance challenges with commercial buildings and collateral, including new rules for “detached structure on residential property” with a commercial purpose
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Matrix of 28 loan types; required disclosures for both consumer and commercial loans with explanations about real-estate-secured loans
- Guide outlining the regulations that apply to commercial credit and exemptions for certain rules
- Commercial loan application template
- Employee training log
- Quiz to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
This informative session will benefit loan officers, loan assistants, loan operations staff, compliance officers, auditors, and trainers.
Attendance verification for CE credits upon request.
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your financial institution is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
MEET THE PRESENTER
Susan Costonis, CRCM
Compliance Consulting and Training for Financial Institutions
Susan Costonis is a compliance consultant and trainer who began her career in 1978. She specializes in compliance management along with deposit and lending regulatory training. Susan has successfully managed compliance programs and exams for institutions that ranged from a community bank to large multi-state bank holding companies. She has been a compliance officer for institutions supervised by the OCC, FDIC, and Federal Reserve. Susan has been a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager since 1998, completed the ABA Graduate Compliance School, and graduated from the University of Akron and the Graduate Banking School of the University of Colorado. She regularly presents to financial institution audiences in several states and “translates” complex regulations into simple concepts by using humor and real-life examples.