Start Date: 4/17/2019 1:00 PM MDT
End Date: 10/17/2019 2:30 PM MDT
Independent Bankers of Colorado
Flood Insurance Compliance for Commercial Lending: Unique Issues & Case Studies
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm MT
The security officer is required to provide annual reports to the board on the implementation, administration, and effectiveness of the security program. Some institutions are satisfied if regulators don’t take issue with the board report or security program. Don’t wait for a lawsuit against the security officer, management, and the board (both jointly and individually) to learn the report was missing several key items.
Although flood insurance regulations began in 1996, examiners continue to cite numerous violations and impose civil money penalties. Compliance can present unique challenges in commercial lending, partly because the collateral may include a combination of residential and non-residential property, as well as commercial inventory. This webinar will use case studies to highlight selected problem areas. Join us to gain a better understanding of flood-related coverage rules and root causes for common commercial lending violations and learn how to avoid costly mistakes.
- When is contents coverage required for commercial loans?
- Policy types and limitations
- Multi-family buildings and commercial loans
- Commercial condominiums coverage and limitations
- Force placement of flood insurance
- Disputing flood zone determinations
- Resolving flood zone discrepancies
- Notice to borrowers each time a covered loan is made, increased, renewed, or extended
- Proof of coverage and coverage calculations
- Case studies
- Update on the applicability of the detached structure exemption on residential property for business, commercial, or agricultural loans
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Matrix of 28 loan types; required disclosures for consumer and commercial loans with requirements for flood insurance
- Commercial loan checklist
- Flood insurance compliance resources and tools
- FEMA Summary of Coverage for Commercial Property
- Employee training log
- Quiz to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
This informative session is a cost-effective way to gain a greater understanding of the commercial lending flood regulations. It will benefit commercial loan officers, loan assistants, loan operations staff, compliance officers, auditors, and trainers.
Attendance verification for CE credits upon request.
NOTE: All materials are subject to copyright. Transmission, retransmission, or republishing of any webinar to other institutions or those not employed by your financial institution is prohibited. Print materials may be copied for eligible participants only.
MEET THE PRESENTER
Susan Costonis, CRCM
Compliance Consulting and Training for Financial Institutions
Susan Costonis is a compliance consultant and trainer who began her career in 1978. She specializes in compliance management along with deposit and lending regulatory training. Susan has successfully managed compliance programs and exams for institutions that ranged from a community bank to large multi-state bank holding companies. She has been a compliance officer for institutions supervised by the OCC, FDIC, and Federal Reserve. Susan has been a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager since 1998, completed the ABA Graduate Compliance School, and graduated from the University of Akron and the Graduate Banking School of the University of Colorado. She regularly presents to financial institution audiences in several states and “translates” complex regulations into simple concepts by using humor and real-life examples.